Before you can start your travel blog, you need to choose your blogging platform. There’s a lot to choose from, like WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger and more….
However, WordPress is definitely the best blogging platform and count with 72 millions of users. WordPress have a lot of benefits compared to other platforms like:
- Free to use (have a good amount of free themes, plugins and add-ons that others don’t offer);
- Very easy to set up;
- Secure; WordPress is always updating and keeping your site protected from attacks;
- Highly customizable with hundreds of themes, plugins and options so you can give your personal touch to the blog;
In our blog, we use WordPress and this tutorial will focus on that platform. Other blog platforms look ok but nothing compares to WordPress and we highly recommend the use of it.
WordPress offers a totally free option in WordPress.com and if you want to make a personal blog only for hobby this is the right platform for you since:
- It’s free forever, however, you can upgrade your blog to fulfil your needs ;
- It’s super easy to setup since it’s all managed for you automatically;
WordPress.com have benefits for some kind of blogs but if you want to make a professional and profitable blog you shouldn’t choose WordPress.com since:
- You don’t have full control of your content, the blogging platform does and can shut down your blog when they want;
- Your site name doesn’t be unique, consider yoursitename.com as the name that you want, in wordpress.com you can only have yoursitename.wordpress.com;
- WordPress.com makes money from your blog putting publicity on it but you can’t monetize your blog so you can’t earn a cent from it;
- You can’t use the many plugins, add-ons and tools from self-hosted WordPress.org;
Putting this if you want to start you travel blog and like to make it professional and profitable you should choose a self-hosted platform like WordPress.org. A self-hosted platform is free but you need to have a domain and hosting provider that is paid so you can install WordPress and start building your blog.
WordPress.org offers hundreds of free plugins, themes and add-ons so you can customise your blog and make it more appeal, besides that you have total control over your blog content, appearance and monetization.