In the Arouca municipality, located in the North of Portugal there’s a crown jewel to eco-travellers, the Paiva walkways. This is a must do visit if you love nature, you will be taking through a biologic, geologic and archeologic journey.
Before you visit Paiva Walkways, where’s 15 things you should know:
- Paiva Walkways are also part of Arouca Geopark.
- Paiva Walkways extends for 8km and seems like the best time to go is at sunrise or sunset.
- Since 13 of February 2016 you have to pay 1 euro to entry in Paiva walkways. Therefore it’s better to book online, only 3500 were allowed per day.
- The schedule is 7:30 to 20:00 from April to October and 09:00 to 17:00 from November to March.
- There are emergency phones along the way, so if you are not feeling well contact the authorities.
- Wear comfortable shoes and appropriated clothing.
- Bring water with you.
- Do not damage the nature, don’t throw litter away.
- You can enjoy shaded areas along the route and take a chance to do a pic nic, one option is at the Vau beach.
- If you physical level is not so good choose the route Areinho – Espiunca, it’s less demanding.
- There is a parking lot at Areinho beach, in Canelas. If you want some food or water you have a bar there too.
- There are small coffee shops at the entry (or end) both sides of the walkways.
- If you only want to do one away there are taxi’s at the end of each route, the price is around 10€/15€.
- On September 4th 2016 they wore elected the most innovated artistic project in Europe in the 2016 edition of the World Travel Awards, in the category of Europe’s leading tourism development project.
- At the moment Paiva Walkways are only open between Espiunca – Vau (about 4 km). Due to a fire that affected the remaining path you can’t go through all route, working is in progress to fix this.
In the breath-taking landscape along the Paiva River, this walkway was designed in dialogue with nature, morphology and panoramic views.
If you want to see more photos of Paiva walkways, check out our still & motions.
For more informations visit the oficial site : passadicosdopaiva.pt
Free Presets Pack for Lightroom!
Get a 50 Lightroom presets pack for free just by subscribing our newsletter.